Experienced Guidance Through Family Law Issues
Family law can be complex. It covers much more than just divorce or child custody matters. There are many layers to the law, and it takes years of practice to obtain the knowledge needed to navigate these complicated issues.
I am Staten Island family law attorney Kurt Richards, and I have more than 25 years of experience working with family law clients in both New York and New Jersey. In my career, I have helped more than 3,000 family law clients across New York City with a variety of family-related issues, including:
- Pendente lite cases (immediate relief): When you need immediate representation to protect your rights or safety, you must file a pendente lite order. Call me at 718-720-1000 to get started right away.
- Domestic violence: If you have experienced domestic violence and you want a divorce, I can help put the correct protective orders in place so we can move forward safely.
- Prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements: These proactive marital agreements can be awkward to work through for a couple, but they ultimately save spouses from undue stress and anxiety in the future.
- Name changes: Changing your name may seem like a straightforward process, but there are actually several requirements you must meet in order to do so. I can help you navigate these requirements successfully.
- Adoption: I can help with stepparent adoptions and foreign re-adoptions. I represent the parents adopting and the biological parents who are giving their child up for adoption.
- Mediation: The mediation process can be a cost-effective and efficient way to settle a divorce or custody issue, but it is not for everyone nor every case. You need guidance with a seasoned family law attorney to ensure it will work for you.
I Am Committed To Minimizing The Drama
Family law is often full of rampant emotions, and it is essential that you can rely on your divorce lawyer as someone who genuinely cares and can offer candid, professional legal representation. I strongly believe in avoiding unnecessary litigation while saving you money, without jeopardizing your rights. Though sometimes going to court is necessary to secure your rights, you can count on me to tell you this upfront so you know what to expect going in.
Many family law attorneys sell their clients unrealistic promises or tell them what they want to hear. That makes their clients happy in the short run — but when those promises turn out to be unrealistic, many people wish they had worked with an honest, practical lawyer from the start.
To learn more about my Staten Island law firm and how I can help you work through your divorce, contact me online or call my 24-hour answering service at 718-720-1000 to schedule an initial consultation.